Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Dont shrink me Gypsie Woman!

I made it to Bloomington! I love it here so far!


On our first day we went to the farmers market and it was like a mini applefest. There were bands playing in the square and they were playing banjos and flutes and guitars. it was pretty cool. The fruit and veggies were super cheap and Dan bought me a bouquet from a GYPSIE!!!!!!!!!!! "Dont shrink me gypsie woman!" There are hippies EVERYWHERE!

Then we ate lunch at this place called the cereal barn. they only sell cereal and pbj's. It was pretty awesome. You can pick toppings like granola for your sandwich and they'll mix it in your choice of jam and homemade pb. it was absolutely amazing and delicious! They give you a banana or an apple, your choice and a glass of chocolate or regular milk.
Everyone is FREAKISHLY nice too. super freakishly nice. You'll be walking down the street and if you make eye contact expect to have a conversation and be called 'friend' or 'buddy' and talked to like you've been friends for years.

This place encourages dumpster diving too. you can get all kinds of stuff in the dumpsters like our kitchen table. There are these bums that frequent our dumpsters and people leave them things in it. haha it's weird. yesterday we saw them scoring almost full bottles of liquor. Everyday that I go out I see people in our dumpster. I took a gander and all I found were some books on Reel Racism.

Then we went to the art museum, which is FREE!!!! and huge so we didn't make it through all of it but we went through two galleries. One was western art from 100 AD - 700 AD and they had some Picasso's in there. I couldn't believe that. Then we went to the changing exhibit. Right now they have Vietnam Veterans portraits and stories in it. They have pictures of the veterans and then their story as told by them beside it on a plaque. Surprisingly most of them are hilarious.

We ate at some vegan place too called roots. this place is soo vegan friendly. Most places have vegan options and I think it's because of all the hippies and all the Buddhists.
Then on the second day we went over to Lake Monroe. The lake is effin huge and is similar to two mile where you swim but without the iceburg and lifeguards and all that and it's not crowded at all. It was really fun and warm, surprisingly.

I noticed the women round here don't wear bras. I'm really not into this and it kinda freaks me out. We were sitting at breakfast the other day and this decently sized girl came in wearing a white shirt and no bra. I mean come on! At least wear a tank top under or something. They apparently don't wear deodorant or shave either. I think if you're in the food business you should do those things for hygiene. It's quite unappetizing to smell your waitress, see her boobs, and have her hairy leg rub against you. ad;lfkjadslk;jfdas;lf ahhhhhhh

Then that night we ate on Restaurant row at the Tibetan Restaurant that is owned by the XIV Dalai Lama's brother. The food is sooooo good and everything is vegan for the most part, again. I got something good. haha I can't pronounce it but it had bean noodles and tofu and jasmine rice. I tried their soup too, I think it was Cilantro Lentil soup but it freaked me out and I couldn't eat it. I was all excited for the Baklava but apparently they were closed for three weeks sending all their food to starving children and hadn't had a chance to restock the Baklava. SOOO disappointing. darn starving kids!
I've never seen so many dreadlocks and flowing dresses in my life. Most of the people in the town are around my age but even the older adults are long hairs. I stumbled into a store yesterday to cool down and turns out it was a head shop. haha go figure.

Well that's all for now. More to come later. In the meantime enjoy the graffiti that is everywhere and this preying mantis we found:



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the dates for the museum exhibit we saw was 500-present, i believe. picasso post dates 700ad by a few years

Ma.lis.sa said...

HAHAHA good call, I couldnt remember the dates

Anonymous said...

haha, bill's comment schooled you hard!

the next time i'm in that museum i will have a ruler too

but your still awesome!
it was a lot of fun
i want to be there NOW, walking around with you, taking pictures, digging in the dumpsters, (finding CD's), getting lost, trying to avoid hairy people, ah so much to do and explore